Forum home Wildlife gardening

Window bird feeder

I bought a perspex bird feeder in Aldi last week, £2.99. The type you stick onto your window with suction cups. It has been up for a week now and this morning, whilst I was having my breakfast, the first visitors I have seen, came to it. They were obviously freaked out by me sitting so close but eventually a tit and then a robin plucked up enough courage to grab a few beaks full before disappearing so I am sure they will be back.
It is lovely to see them so close.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,126
    We have two feeders hanging on a bit of washing line across a corner of the house. The birds get used to seeing you through the glass quite quickly.

The robin even sits on the window box and stares at us until we go out and give him some food that he doesn’t have to work for.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • We have one too, it's stuck to the window of our conservatory and we usually put suet pellets or mealworms in it. The starlings rinse it as soon as it's filled! Sometimes they come whilst we're in there and they aren't too bothered. The arrival noise is the feeder rattling against the window, super loud!  :smiley:

We've seen the odd blue tit and sparrow go to it too :smile:
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,797
    Huge fat pigeons kept trying to land on mine and ripped it off the window a few too many times until it was beyond repair 🙁. If they hadn't done it I'm sure the magpies and jays would have had a go - it didn't stand a chance.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Joyce GoldenlilyJoyce Goldenlily Posts: 1,351
    Robins and tits are now coming regularly every day to feed from mine. I have a feeding station not far away where the big birds go, I haven't seen any big guys on my window feeder yet. 
    I don't hear anything when tits land on it but there is a definite bump when robins land.  
    I have put wild bird seed in mine plus extra meal worms, suet pellets, as well as a fat ball.
    Great fun.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,243
    I'd have to keep removing it every time the window cleaner came, and I never really know when that is.  :/
    I've never been keen on them. I really don't want any birds getting near windows unnecessarily, for their own safety. I'll stick to my cages with their green roofs, that I can see from the back windows, and which the little birds negotiate with no safety problems. The most recent visitors -long tailed tits- have been straight in without any hesitation   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I do not have a window cleaner and rarely clean my windows so that is not a problem for me. The feeder is held on the glass by 3 suction pads which are not difficult to undo or attach.
    The incoming birds just sit on the gutter or a nearby dahlia stake before their final launch onto the feeder so that gives them no problems.
    I have a feeding station nearby which is used by blue, great, long tailed and willow tits as well as many other birds which I can watch from my window so I am very lucky. A program on TV recently said the average garden has 15 different birds coming to them so I wrote a list of mine, 19 not including the buzzards, herons and seagulls etc. which do not actually land in my garden but which I see passing overhead.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,126

Hello sparrowhawk, bye bye blue tit.

Also, bye bye moles .... now.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    A few years ago moles began coming into my garden so I tried an idea from where I do not recall.
    Moles hate noise so I have bamboo canes pushed into the ground in strategic locations around my garden, with large empty plastic bottles upside down on top of them. They rattle when the wind blows. Since putting them in I have not had a single mole appear in my garden. My cat has brought a few home for me so they are not too far away, in the fields surrounding me. Aesthetically, green bottles look better than clear ones.

I do not know why I was concerned about birds accessing the stick on the feeder. A jay was on it yesterday. They eat such huge quantities, taking beaks full away to store in their caches. I thought the weight of a jay might pull the feeder from the glass but obviously not.
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,493
    I’ve been watching this thread with interest. OH was given a window feeder for Christmas, but has only recently stuck it on the kitchen window. No customers as yet, but I suspect the birds may not be able to see it. He has put it a bit high up towards the overhang of the eaves, as he was worried it would fill with water when it rains.
    I had one on my window at work, used to get lots of little birds visiting, patients loved it and calmed them down!
    My feeder is on a ground floor window facing South/South West so takes the full force of rain most of the time. So far it has had no water collecting in it and we have had a lot of rain since I put it up. There are no obvious drainage holes, can only think there are gaps along the joints.
    Mine is now very busy with mainly robins visiting.