Forum home Problem solving

Mould or salt on pots?

dilbydilby Posts: 48
edited 6 March in Problem solving
Hi all - last year in my greenhouse I had a break out of both black and white mould so this weekend’s job was to disinfect everything. I washed all my terracotta pots in a zeflora solutution but they still look like shown in the picture. Is this salt or mould? I’ve also read that mould infections are more common with terracotta pots as they are a better environment for it to grow so my second question is are they still worth it over plastic?

thanks!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    edited 6 March
    There's no pic showing. If you keep the photos small [1MB or lower]they load quicker

I've never had any problems with terracotta, other than the inevitable algae/moss, which I like anyway. I prefer it for lots of reasons, but plastic holds moisture more effectively, so it depends what you want them for.
    Someone else may have a different view though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• dilbydilby Posts: 48
    Oops thanks @Fairygirl - fixed although it is now sideways! 😅
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    Ah - there it is!  :D

I wouldn't be worried about that. It's perfectly natural for terracotta to leach out 'stuff'.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    It's just mineral salts from the clay used to make the pots ... no problem ... I think that it can add to the attractive 'weathered' look that you see on old pots. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    Just salt, nothing to worry about  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    edited 6 March
    I agree - not mould - it's just minerals that have come from water the compost and any fertilizers you may have used (much like limescale).
    You could remove most of it with a stiff brush if you really want to, but it's harmless
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thanks very much all! I’m not worried about the aesthetics I’m just trying to be through removing any trace of mould from last year as I lost so much produce to it 😞. I’ve had a mix of plastic and terracotta in the greenhouse for peppers and tomatoes and personally haven’t noticed any different between the two in quality of the plants - it’s just terracotta looks so much nicer but I realise that probably makes me a bit snobby! I’ve got so many plastic pots from plant purchases too. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    You lost produce to moulds?  Sounds very odd.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    Nothing snobby about choosing things that you like the look of ... where would we artists be if people didn't think it was important to have things they like and that mean something to them?  B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

You lost produce to moulds?  Sounds very odd.
    My plants got covered in a black mould. I asked on here about it and consensus was it’s quite a common infection and I needed to ditch all plants and disinfect greenhouse to prevent a new flare up