Forum home Garden design

Survey based on climate adapted planting for dissertation

Hello All, 

My name is Naima and I am a final year student studying BSc (Hons) Real Estate at the University of the West of England. As part of my course I must complete a dissertation project in which I have chosen to write about 'planting more to save water' as a response to climate change through climate adapted planting. To aid my thesis it is crucial to gather the perceptions of the public in which I have attached a survey (number 4) to be kindly completed but beforehand I would appreciate it if the links (number 1-3) were read and fully understood. 

If there are any issues please do not hesitate to contact me (details in the links). 
Thank you very much in advance!

1. https://uweacuk-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/naima2_khan_live_uwe_ac_uk/EQc9A2tlTTNFnEElVH5b6jQBcSOPEISYhzvmiGlSy_iGAg?e=kbyovK  

2. https://uweacuk-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/naima2_khan_live_uwe_ac_uk/EQAaU2Y800xEtf2YCn_EhZIBAP32wZF6LFJz5YdXE2TkgQ?e=TlKodA

3. https://uweacuk-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/naima2_khan_live_uwe_ac_uk/EVg65v4qG9VJt5_C7ep4shoBnNR5-VyhOsEVGeBK_SO5QA?e=fcPbiO

4. https://uwe.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0uCuhfmX44QIyDY 

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,613
    Done. Would prefer a “civil partnership” option for marital status though 👍🏼

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,677
    Also done.
     I would have clicked a "not married but living with long-term partner" option if it were available. Married yes/no is a bit simplistic (particularly compared to the larger ranges of options for some of the other personal details). 
    Can I just say how nice it is to see a survey with proper background information and privacy notice provided. 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,083
    @naima2.khan Please go to A sunny easy maintenance front garden for an example of xeriscaping.

The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,083
    @naima2.khan I have already mentioned this on the forum. If you look at the TV series, Your garden made perfect. Series 2 episode 3. I wonder what happens when it pours with rain, where does the water go? If this is an example of how we garden in the future the amount of paving used is a concern . Planning permission is needed in front gardens when paved areas are extended, perhaps this needs to apply to back gardens too.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,044
    A well constructed survey. Well done.

Rather than having us guess, though maybe that was your intention, I would have liked a paragraph long definition of xeriscaping.

I also wonder about the function of the personal questions at the end, though I had no issue with completing them. You could end up with peculiarly precise subsets such as single Pakistani men living in Scotland on an income of over £50,000 vs ….
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291
    Hard to envisage any part of my garden being xeriscaped.
    Daughter has spent many days this winter working on land drains and soughs, just to make it possible to walk without everything turning to mud. In the last storm, there was so much run off from the neighbour's fields, where they have been neglected, that most of the gravel on our yard ended up at the bottom of the hill and she had to put sandbags to prevent the end of the house following suit!
    I do have some nice cacti on my hot windowsill though :)

@BenCotto I liked the fact that the word was thrown at us in the beginning. As gardeners we should understand it's meaning.
    It would be interesting to find out what kind of planting is recommended for summers that can be hot and dry or cool and damp or both in turn, and winters that can have spells of cold or wet or both together. The great British climate :) .
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,044
    My guess is that if you asked 1000 people entering a gardening centre - folk who maybe ought to know - what xeriscape meant only a handful would be on the button. I had not realised the word was applied to UK gardens, thinking it was restricted to arid and semi-arid lands. But, as I said, my understanding of the word was pretty weak and only inferred from a vague recollection of the meaning of  the prefix xero-