Forum home Problem solving

Willow? What can I do with this?

raindropsonrosesraindropsonroses NottinghamshirePosts: 14

This came in a flower arrangement delivery and it said we can grow it on. A type of willow?? It has since produced lots of roots and leaves standing in water.  I was thinking of planting it in a pot/pots to start with (our garden soil is heavy, wet clay) - how many twigs should I plant in each pot (there are three all together)? Will it be ok outside in this weather, or should it stay indoors/greenhouse until it's warmer?  Also, does anyone know how big it will grow?  Thank you in advance.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,060
    edited 1 March
    Willow needs lots of water, but the problem with most of them is that they get huge. 
    The number of stems you put in a pot depends on the size of the pot. 2 or 3 in a 6 or 7 inch pot would be fine, and then you'd need to pot them on individually as they grow a root system. 
    Willow is 100% hardy, but you'd need to pot it up first, and then acclimatise it for a few days [depending on your weather/temps] before leaving outside. 

Assuming it is willow of course  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raindropsonrosesraindropsonroses NottinghamshirePosts: 14
    Many thanks.  I'll give it a go!
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,550
    Our nextdoor neighbour has what he calls a twisted willow, that he grew from a bouquet of flowers just like yours. This was several years ago, and he cuts it back every year in late Autumn. 
    He kindly does this to allow any Winter sun into my garden. Over the year it grows over 6 feet. It's next to a West facing fence, and l would describe the soil as clay.
    I would start it in a pot as one plant (unless you want three), and grow it on .
    Hope this helps  :)
    Thank you.  I was hoping to plant it out at some point and just cut it back as necessary.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,060
    You'll find you have too many if they all root and grow - unless you have a vast acreage to plant them all in  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I'll stick with one, then.  "Acreage" is limited.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,308
    As for how big will it grow? ....... As big as you let it ... keep coppicing it very regularly ... otherwise you'll get a huge tree

https://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/2016/07/25/curly-willow-is-fast-growing-ornamental-tree/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It's now standing in the sunshine in a pot.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,797
    edited 1 March
    If it is a 'curly willow', I have one in my garden. It was here when we moved in 16 years ago and hasn't got a great deal bigger - it's probably about 7 or 8 feet high, though it leans so if it was upright perhaps a foot or two taller. There are a couple of trunks (it might be two trees) and in the early spring I snip off any dead bits. Usually these are very thin twiggy bits about a foot or so long - it also stops the longest bits actually dragging on the ground. Occasionally I cut a bigger bit but I don't think I've ever removed anything thicker than an inch or so, and have certainly not coppiced them. After a bit of searching I concluded it was probably Salix x sepulcralis 'Erythroflexuosa', but obviously can't be completely sure. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    That is good to know.  I shall see how it goes!