Forum home Plants

Plant ident

Hi there

Is anyone able to ID this please.

About 1.5m/2m high in places,  4m spread.
Apparently has a blueish flower (I've not seen it in flower though).
Evergreen.
Woody.

Cheers

• Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 514
    I think it's a type of privet.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,582
    @Silver surfer might know for certain.
    I thought maybe Caryopteris (sp ?) but l think the leaves are wrong .
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,149
    @pineapplemint Not sure but maybe Sollya Heterophylla if you live in the south. There is a past thread on this website so type this in at the top and take a look.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,089
    I don't think it's privet. The leaves are broader oval and lighter gree, less leathery-looking, and the flowers are white. Not caryopteris (they're deciduous, plus wrong leaves). I wondered about ceanothus but I don't know of one that has such narrow leaves. Or a very straggly hebe, but I think they have opposite leaves not alternate.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,516
    I have seen these somewhere and I'm sure I've seen little black berries on them.
    The only plant I can think of that has similar leaves is a Callistemon, but not sure that's right either
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    @pineapplemint Hi there, any clue at all regarding the flowers .Perhaps the flower shape? Very few flowers are a true blue most have a purple tinge .May be you could find out when it flowers.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions so far- hoping to see it in flower/fruit in person this year but I'll see if I can get a few more details in the meantime.

It's located in the North Midlands so possibly too far north for some of the more tender plants out there.

It's a weird one, it's got so many things it reminds me of... yet doesn't quite match.

I'm secretly hoping the flower description is wrong to widen the search.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,344
    I think it's Buddleia alternifolia..
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,011
    Marlorena said:
    I think it's Buddleia alternifolia..
    So do I - I knew it looked familiar! I used to have one.  It has a nice weeping habit.
    @Marlorena Yes I am sure you are right. I wondered about the clusters of leaves on the stems thinking that is the give away. I did look at buddleia but wasn't sure regarding the blue flowers. Well Done!