Forum home Problem solving

Pale herbs

My pot-growing herbs never seem to maintain their early dark green colour. What do they need more of?

• B3B3 Posts: 21,520
    Kristina. You are becoming a real PITA
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,520
    The sage looks like it could do with a good drink. The others are probably thirsty too 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,133
    Those plants want all day full sun.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    edited 28 February
    What sort of location are you in @martin.hamblett They can suffer badly in cold, wet areas of the country, along with other Mediterranean herbs.

That problem with the @ thing and forum names is becoming a real PITA. It's so inconsistent. Apologies if my post looks odd @martin.hamblett
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,027
    They all need repotting in gritty compost, raised off the ground with pot feet, or similar, so that they can drain properly and placed in the sun, when we get some!  Water after repotting and only again when the top couple of inches of the compost feels dry.  You could prune the sage in a few weeks' time when it starts growing again, to obtain a bushier plant - use the sage you cut for cooking!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    Again  - the location matters. Up here, those plants struggle with being outside at all in winter. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,027
    edited 28 February
    Moving them into the shadow of the house would also help at this stage, they are definitely looking waterlogged!  If you are in a milder part of the country, they should be fine outside once repotted with a free draining compost. (I'd use a 50% grit/ 50% soil based compost mix and place a layer of grit on the surface to keep the leaves above the damp compost.)