Forum home Problem solving

Anemones haven’t appeared

Two years running I have planted 100 anemone corms as directed under apple trees in my garden. All were pre-soaked and put in 3” deep. The soil is normal garden loam - slightly clayey. To date nothing has appeared - any suggestions as to what has gone wrong, please?

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,232
    If you are growing A de Caen they need full sun an a light soil .There are so many different Anemones. I grow A nemerosa in a shady border and the soil is clay they do well.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,474
    Yes - de Caen and nemorosa are very different.
    What kind have you planted @johnraymondshaw ? I'm guessing it's more likely to be de Caens, as nemorosa aren't corms.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Than you for your help - these were anemone Blanda ?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,517
    What sort of anemones? I see wild wood anemones (A. nemorosa) in woodlands on the S. Lincs/Cambs border flowering around mid April. Whereabouts are you?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

It might be too heavy and shady for them in your site. 

• I live in the Bristol area.
  • Every thing else seems to grow well - I.e. Cyclamen, Daffs , Primroses?
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,232
    I can't grow A Blanda again it needs a well drained sunny site. Daffs are fine in a retentive soil and Primroses need a retentive soil to do well. C Hederifolium do well everywhere in my garden think the ants move them about.
  • That’s most probably the reason then - very many thanks to you, Suze!

I'd agree - it's probably not hospitable enough for them. All the others enjoy damper conditions.
    Are you going to lift them @johnraymondshaw ? Big job  :/