Forum home Problem solving

Moving blind snowdrops?

BlueBirderBlueBirder Posts: 165
edited 26 February in Problem solving
I planted some snowdrop bulbs last November. I was not hopeful as I know they do not like to dry out, but they have all grown (hurrah). But they all came up blind. I'm not sure if this is because they were planted too late or too shallowly, or something else...they're in quite a small container at the moment so I thought it would be a good idea to move them somewhere they will be happier long term.

Other (well established) snowdrops in my garden are still flowering so I am wondering if I can move the blind ones now or if I should wait til the same time as the flowering ones going over (if that makes sense!).

One place I could put them is around the base of two hypericum androsaemum shrubs I have. However I have to water these *a lot* in summer - they were put into concrete containers before I moved in which are way too heavy to move, and unfortunately they get full sun for a lot of the time, and literally keel over if I don't water them, sometimes twice a day in the hottest weather. Is this a bad place to put snowdrop bulbs? What conditions are best for oversummering snowdrops?

(I should say that I've asked if I can replant the hypericum, but the landlord likes them where they are...so I just try and give them as much tlc as possible. I gave one of them a parasol in the heatwave last year...)

Thanks in advance ☺ 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,224
    It sounds too hot and dry to me. Snowdrops seem to thrive in damp shade in my garden. I bought a pack of 'in the green' snowdrops many years ago and planted them in different areas of the garden - they all seemed suitable to me. Some never came up, some dwindled away over several years and some romped away, flourishing and self seeding and spreading happily. All the best ones get almost no sun and the heavy soil is moist-to-boggy from September to late April.

I think you could plant out your potted ones any time you like.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    Damp and shade is what they need. I can get away with having snowdrops in sunnier spots, but essentially - they're woodland [deciduous] plants. 
    If you can get them somewhere more suitable, they'll settle in, build up, and come away for next year. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,712
    You can move the snowdrops now BlueBirder taking care to place them where they are happiest, in a damp spot. I'd give them a light sprinkling of blood, fish and bone also. They can be moved and split up when they are in full bloom too. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,647
    When you dig them up, make sure you dig down further than you think you need to. Snowdrops can go down quite deep even after a year, and you want to avoid damage to the bulbs.
    Had to smile at the parasol story  :)
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,712
    I agree with AnniD and keeping as much soil around the roots will help to take up nutrients to build the bulb for next year.