Forum home Plants

Special compost for potting on lavender plugs?

Afternoon everyone.  I’ve just taken delivery of some very healthy looking Lavender  ‘Munstead’ plug plants.

Can anyone recommend what compost should be used for potting on the lavender as I assume normal MPC won’t be free draining enough?  Can I just add some vermiculite or is there a special compost?  

Apologies if a silly question, I’ve been gardening for years but still so much to learn.  Thanks in advance all.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,172
    Not silly at all  :)
    I would just use MPC with some Perlite or similar. Vermiculite would be fine too. Anything that keeps it free draining.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,586
    I would just mix in the Vermiculite to help with drainage. You could mix grit in instead, but l think Vermiculite should be fine until they are big enough to plant out.
    PS Not a silly question at all  :)
    Snap @AnniD ;)

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,586
    🙂 @Fairygirl
  • @Fairygirl @AnniD.   Thank you both so much.  I love getting reassurance from this forum …. It’s been invaluable over the years! 👍🏻😀
    They won't grow much for a little while yet anyway, so the next potting on [depending on the size and your conditions] will be fine with a more general mix, although keeping some vermiculite in the mix is still a good thing. They don't really need a lot of nutrition at this stage.  :)

• Fairygirl said:
    They won't grow much for a little while yet anyway, so the next potting on [depending on the size and your conditions] will be fine with a more general mix, although keeping some vermiculite in the mix is still a good thing. They don't really need a lot of nutrition at this stage.  :)

TThank you.  Appreciate the advice! 👍🏻