Forum home Problem solving

Dog friendly slug pellets that actually work???

Hello 

I bought a house last year from someone who's garden was clearly their pride and joy - its really amazing.

I therefore feel pressured to become 'a gardener'!

I was kindly helped through the basics by friends, neighbours and family last year and on all accounts it wasn't disastrous - EXCEPT for the slugs...! I tried every thing 'friendly' (mulch, egg shells, beer baths, friendly sprays, hunting them at night via candle power (!)) however I watched in vain as my herbs, gifted veggies and pretty new flowers would disappear.

As much as I know people are against strong pellets due to hedgehogs eating the infected slugs - I need something stronger (I am sorry) but I have a small dog.

Any brand recommendations would be really appreciated.

Best 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,424
    I don't think there is such a product. Hunting at night with a torch is the best dog safe solution but it's easier when hunting snails.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • simmsklsimmskl Posts: 2
    Awww thank you - its quite a big area and on a slope so was trying to avoid too much scampering in my slippers!

It seems crazy as I assume is a problem so many face.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,211
    I found nematodes very helpful in reducing slug numbers long term. Not cheap but very effective when used correctly. Also perfectly safe for dogs.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    edited 25 February
    Have alook at this old thread-
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1034917/pet-friendly-slug-pellets

I have a dog and have been using this product for several years without and dog-related problems.
    It's based on iron so is far less harmful to pets.
    Most importantly use as directed and don't pile it into little heaps or spread thickly.
    I find that heavy rain does seem to wash the pellets away and they don't last as long as the old (and poisonous) metaldehyde pellets, but they do work.

Ps - any of the IRON based slug pellets should also be safe.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,206
    Nematodes work when the soil is warm enough but you have to be pretty wealthy if your garden is large. The are useless in spring, when I need them most. Pellets work for some - I found the slugs ate the plants anyway. The only thing that works for me is the torchlight patrol. Never mind the slippers, get your wellies on and go for it!
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,451
    Anything that poisons slugs is poison.. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Research plants that suit your conditions and are not attractive to slugs. You'll win the odd battle with slugs but never the war..
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    I agree that it's always the best solution @Chris-P-Bacon, but difficult if inheriting a mature garden. 
    The previous owner may have been happy to use slug pellets on a regular basis. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    This is all part of the joys of becoming a gardener :) 
    I'm pretty sure that the person who owned the garden before you had exactly the same problem, and it's a fairly safe bet that they resorted to slug pellets.
    A problem with inheriting a garden from someone who clearly enjoyed it does put pressure on you to do the same, but remember it's your garden now, to do with what you want.

I was sorry to read that you felt pressured to do the same. I know what you mean, but gardening is different things to different people, and l'm pretty sure that you have plans to redecorate inside the house if you haven't already. You need to treat the garden in the same way.

As you've discovered, generally speaking gardeners are generous people, only to happy to give you advice, plant cuttings etc (even if you don't want them 😉). My advice is to look at what you want from the garden and take it from there. There are plants available that are slug resistant (not necessarily slug proof !), and bear in mind that the slug population is dependent on the weather. 

This forum is a very good place for advice , and you already have "real life" friends etc. to help. You can post photos here to help give the forum members some ideas of what you're dealing with.

Gardening can be fun, frustrating and enough to drive you mad, sometimes all at the same time, but l wouldn't be without it !

Here endeth the lesson (sorry l went on a bit 😊)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    I agree totally with you @AnniD.
    The garden has to suit you and your needs @simmskl. If you want to take everything out - that's your right. 
    I've created several gardens from scratch. If the new owners wanted to remove everything - that's how it is. Not my garden any more.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....