Forum home Problem solving

advice re: geraniums

I've left my geraniums in the pot since planting. I know I should have taken cuttings to 'over winter'.
Is there anything I can do with the roots now.   I have taken them out of the pot and am trying to dry them out for maybe re-potting????

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    Do you mean the non hardy pelargoniums as opposed to hardy geraniums?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 Posts: 21,471
    Are they hardy geraniums or pelargoniums? If it's the latter and they got cold, they're probably dead.  If it's the former, I wouldn't dry them out.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I'm not sure.   Something else I must do is to keep all labels.  They are just geraniums if I remember.  I didn't realise how easy it is to propagate these.   If no luck with these this time, I will certainly do when they finish flowering this year.
  • They are geraniums.  How do I keep them until due for re-planting?
  • @canalsideconnie I had the big bright red kind that I grow in pots for the summer season. I then put them in a cold greenhouse still in the pots and keep them dry. . When spring arrives I take cutting off the plants and If there is enough for what I need I throw the old roots away. If not i cut them down and wait for shoots to grow from the base to use again. Hope this helps. Valerie 
  • Thanks for your reply.   This is what I need to do next time.   Unfortunately, I have left them out over winter.  I have taken them out of the pots today ready to throw away but wondered if there is anything I can do with the roots, i.e. maybe dry them out and re-plant????
  • On reflection, I am sure nothing can be done as they are obviously dead.   Oh well, I'll be ready this year.
    edited 23 February
    If they're hardy geraniums they'll be fine, unless they've been allowed to get bone dry for a long period.
    If they're pelargoniums - they might not. If you bring them inside [just frost free[ you can see if they produce new growth.
    Even hardy ones would be ok inside for a month or so, as long as it isn't too warm for them, and you can then put them back outside later on.
    A picture would help though  :)

• Thank you for your reply.  I'm not sure as they have been outside in pots until now.  I have lifted them and put them in a cardboard box in the garage,that is why I am wondering if the roots would survive and produce new growth.  Shall I re-pot them and bring them inside??
    edited 23 February
    If they're hardy geraniums, and they've been outside, just pot them up and put them back outside.  They're hardy, so they don't need to be lifted or covered in any way, and they need light   :)

If they're pelargoniums, that's where the difference is - they aren't hardy plants in most of the UK.