Forum home Problem solving

Growing on cuttings

Hi could anyone let me know how to grow on my sambucus black beauty cutting taken last year. They are shouting leaves. Do I plant so that the soil is just about level with new leaves or leave all of the stalk above ground as picture?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    Can't see the pic - but plant it at the same level as it is now.
    Once established you can hack them down as much as you like and they re-sprout quickly
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,204
    Have you checked that there are roots coming through the bottom of the pot? How big are your cuttings? I have found that shrub cuttings usually do better when grown on in a container for a year or even two before they cope with the garden.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,129
    That would be my thinking @Posy. A cutting taken last year wouldn't be viable for the garden yet  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• paanpaan Posts: 16
    Hi  thanks for responses - there are 2  cuttings in a  pot that is 6inches diameter  and 8 inches high,  but soil is only at level of 6 inches in the pot. the other single cutting is in pot diameter 4.5 inches and 65 inches height.  The pot with 2 cuttings in has roots  showing  though bottom drainage holes bit none showing in single cutting .

Plus  I just stuck  small  hard wood stems in soil last summer ( june or july ) as the plant  was getting chopped down,  so the hardwood stem in the picture is about 5 inches in length with purple leaves sprouting on the top.

so shall I separate the 2 cuttings in one pot and repot  for another year ? and should I  bury that  long stem and bring soil to where leaves are sprouting ?
    or shall I leave them all as they are for another year ?

thanks so much for your reply its been really useful
    I think I would separate the two rooted cuttings to prevent the roots getting tangled and grow them on until they are a bit bigger. The others I would just leave alone for now.

I can't see a picture so it's hard to comment on planting depth.

ok thanks I will do that , I have resubmitted a picture I hope this one works  - obviously as it  is staying in a pot for another year  I will just plant as is - but when its to go in the garden shall i bury the whole stem  so that the soil is about level with newly emerging leaves ?
  • robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 586
    edited 1 March
    paan said:
    ok thanks I will do that , I have resubmitted a picture I hope this one works  - obviously as it  is staying in a pot for another year  I will just plant as is - but when its to go in the garden shall i bury the whole stem  so that the soil is about level with newly emerging leaves ?

I would not bury the stem above the soil level in the pot when planting out in the soil in the garden. The stem above the soil level in the pot is adapted to live surrounded by air and the more consistently wet conditions it would experience if it was buried may not be good for it. Elder are resilient so it might adapt but if it was me growing these cuttings I'd want to keep the trunk visible so the plant remains more tree like.

Happy gardening!
    They look good. I'm not sure about planting depth. @Fairygirl will know.
    Ok great will keep to same soil level when planting out. In the mean time should I feed  these with liquid seaweed..? The two I am separating will have fresh compostbso they should be fine? but what about the one staying in its existing pot.?