Forum home Problem solving

New beds on slope

I have a fairly large south facing lawn that slopes down towards the house. Around the sides the grass is mostly just weeds. I’d like to dig borders to make flower beds on either side. It seems like a silly question but will that work on a slope or will everything slowly gravitate downwards. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    It depends what you mean by a slope. Even quite steep sites can be planted up successfully if the right plants are used. Some plants can help to stabilise soil too  :)
    A photo of the site would help. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It’s probably a bit dark for a photo now! I’m on a tight budget so I was planning on only using seeds. Mostly annuals I guess. It’s not very steep, just a pain when mowing! I’m stuck for ideas for how to do the edge too.  
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404
    We'd need to see it to be able to offer useful advice.  :)
    Also - the aspect of the different borders, soil type, climate and any other buildings or planting around the site can affect what grows. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,460
    I guess if its not too steep for a lawn, it'll probably be OK for flower beds. I would recommend getting at least some perennials and shrubs; Morrisons is good for sourcing these if you're on a low budget. 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,565
    Loxley said:
    I guess if its not too steep for a lawn, it'll probably be OK for flower beds. I would recommend getting at least some perennials and shrubs; Morrisons is good for sourcing these if you're on a low budget. 
    Wilkinson’s (Wilko) too. I got a few escallonia for £2.50/£3 each last year and they’re doing really well. 

Most of my ferns come from there too. Had some of them for years. If you pop in once a week you are often lucky and find them reduced (got four last week for 50p each).