Forum home Plants

Any Ideas On what to plant in a 200ltr trough planter

Hi everyone has any got any ideas on what to plant in a 200ltr through planter 100x 50 x50 to go in my left hand corner of my garden, shady corner, I was thinking of 2 holly Alaska bush 120 high, I was thinking of form a hedge mainly it’s for the birds to attract song birds to the bird feeder 
«1

Posts

  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I would go for one without a base, if there is a place to site it on earth.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    I've just realised you asked this question about a month ago @mraholdsworth, but you didn't return to the thread to respond to suggestions and other queries. 
    We can't really help if you don't reply  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)

    hi fairy girl team I’m in th U.K.maybe I just add one holly  sorry for not replying on the previous thread, lost my password 
    Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)
    Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)
    Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)
    Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)
    Fairygirl said:
    Are you in the UK? If so - roughly where? Wet/dry?  Exposed or sheltered?

    That isn't a very sizeable container for two hollies of any kind unless you're clipping them, which affects the flowering/berrying potential  :)

  • Fire said:
    I would go for one without a base, if there is a place to site it on earth 
    thanks fire, may I will go for one , base?
  • Fairygirl said:
    I've just realised you asked this question about a month ago @mraholdsworth, but you didn't return to the thread to respond to suggestions and other queries. 
    We can't really help if you don't reply  :)
    Yeah sorry for not  replying I lost me password and I am new to this group 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Ah - fair enough. At least you managed to get back on :)
    As long as the soil in the container is suitable - ie soil not compost, and it's kept moist enough, especially while establishing, a single holly should be ok.
    They're quite tolerant of shade and sun, but they can be quite slow growing, so it'll be  a few years before you have something of a reasonable height and width. You might want to put in some other, more temporary, planting until it fills out. That could be annuals or perennials depending on what you like  :)

    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • Fairygirl said:
    Ah - fair enough. At least you managed to get back on :)
    As long as the soil in the container is suitable - ie soil not compost, and it's kept moist enough, especially while establishing, a single holly should be ok.
    They're quite tolerant of shade and sun, but they can be quite slow growing, so it'll be  a few years before you have something of a reasonable height and width. You might want to put in some other, more temporary, planting until it fills out. That could be annuals or perennials depending on what you like  :)

    Soil, I was think topsoil and 1 bag of John inns no3 mixed in the top half of the plant does that sound ok or just top soil, I was thinking of bamboo but not sure or a mature acres with a bulb lasagna either side, I don’t know lol 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,907
    Acers are fine in containers - decent soil and drainage, but they won't really offer much to birds. Neither will bamboo.
    If you want to plant bulbs, they need to work with whatever shrub you choose. Some need very sharp drainage for example. Tulips in particular  :)

    I would just mix all your soil together, but you need to make sure the mix also drains well. In wet conditions that mix could be very soggy, so you might want to add grit or pea gravel, or just some bog standard multi purpose compost.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....


  • Fairygirl said:
    Acers are fine in containers - decent soil and drainage, but they won't really offer much to birds. Neither will bamboo.
    If you want to plant bulbs, they need to work with whatever shrub you choose. Some need very sharp drainage for example. Tulips in particular  :)

    I would just mix all your soil together, but you need to make sure the mix also drains well. In wet conditions that mix could be very soggy, so you might want to add grit or pea gravel, or just some bog standard multi purpose compost.
    Thank you so much for your advise I think I will go with the holly and add two temporary plants, also grit 
Sign In or Register to comment.