Forum home Plants

Daphne bushes

@Fairygirl , I’ve just looked at the site and there are two others that would quench this thirst. Gosh aren’t things getting pricey .  Many thanks Valerie 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,025
    Yes - many shrubs are more expensive, but all growers are having to raise prices due to all the other increases involved.
    My 'local' nursery stocks a few Daphnes [although not J.P]  but I don't know what the current prices are as they haven't got a new list out yet. I'd expect them to be considerably less though. They supply retail outlets all over  Scotland, as well as the public, so the prices are far better.  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,667
    Daphne have always been expensive to buy.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Yes - definitely expensive @Silver surfer, compared to many other shrubs  :)

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,083
    They are slow growing so the nurseryman has to look after them longer hence the price.
    Hope you are able to find one to suit your cultural needs.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,083
    Farmyard Nurseries have J P  at an eye watering £59.99. Others  available.
  • @Fairygirl, @Silver Surfer, @GardenerSuze, hi all you Daphne lovers. Looks like I will have to shop around to see what happens in the spring. Many thanks for your input. Valerie 

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,667
    edited 17 February
    I have a great fondness for Daphne...used to grow many different ones in old garden
    The scent is just wonderful.
    Well worth every £.
    Just a few pics below! Only 568!

https://www.flickr.com/search/[email protected]&sort=date-posted-desc&text=daphne&view_all=1
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
    Actually - I'm not a lover of them at all @valerieroberts:D
    The vast majority on sale are pale pink, which I hate. I can't smell most plants either, unless I have my face right in them, so scent isn't an attraction for me with plants.

There are some which have white flowers, but there are plenty of other shrubs which can do that job for me, so I'm not too bothered about having Daphnes. 

• Daphne are not easy to propagate, another reason for their cost. I love them but have given up replacing them because of their cost.
  • @Silver surfer , thank you so much for the photos, they are wonderful. Valerie