Forum home Problem solving

Sarocococca lost it’s leaves

Sarococca leaves disappeared stem still green is something eating it? I’ve dug it out the ground and put it in the greenhouse with some chicken pellets 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,441
    The tips of the stems look as if they've died off ... could it have been growing somewhere too dry and sunny for it?  Mine is happy in a damp northwest facing border protected from summer sun by next door's house wall.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Yes - a shadier, damper spot is what they like, as @Dovefromabove says. If you can offer some more info on how it's been growing, that will help with advice  :)

It's not a good idea to feed plants which are struggling though.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• yes maybe too dry i shall give it a few weeks then plant it in the woodland area thankyou 
    Just make sure the spot you choose for it isn't also a drier one. Deciduous woodland is easier, but in dry parts of the country, those can still be on the dry side unless you choose a spot that still gets enough exposure to the elements.  :)

• ithankyou it’s been in a border that I planted last year and covered with chipped bark a few inches deep consisting of rhododendron, fatsia, and various small conifers and shrubs I think although it’s not in sun it has dried out I thought it would have retained moisture but not sure it was wet when I dug it up , we will see 😄
    It's difficult without seeing a photo of the area, but the more shrubs and planting you have, the more competition there is for moisture. 
    If it was on the dry side, or pot bound in any way when planted, that could also have affected it, as it can be hard for a plant to take up moisture and nutrients afterwards.  :)

• yes I understand I will bare this in mind going forward thankyou for your advice 😁
    Hope it recovers  :)
    I don't think anything really eats them, so it definitely seems to be more of cultural problem. There might be someone who knows if that's the case though. 

• BeefleyBeefley SE DartmoorPosts: 47
    Do you have wild rabbits? Mine was eaten by rabbits and looked very similar. I moved it to a rabbit free area about a year ago and it is very, very slowly recovering.
  • Possibly, definitely squirrels, foxes badgers we are on the South Downs so lots of noises at night