Forum home Plants

Hydrangea

I have this hydrangea (not sure what kind). It flowered right through winter until a few weeks ago and the flowers have gone brown. Not sure if I leave it alone and it will bloom again or do I cut anything away? Any tips on how to car for it so it will bloom again, thanks 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    Hello Gemma  :)
    The usual advice is to leave the old flower heads on until the threat of frosts has passed. The flower heads are usually at the top of the stems, and the stems pruned back to a few shoots from the top.
    However your flowers seem to be around the bottom of the plant, with new growth coming through the middle. It looks very healthy and is in a sheltered spot, but l would be inclined to wait a little longer before cutting the old flower heads off, until mid March at least.
    A late "Beast from the East" could still catch us out.
    A lot also depends depends on whereabouts you live.
  • Thanks so much for your reply. I’ll follow your advice and not do anything yet until better weather is likely. When I do trim them how far below the flower heads do I cut? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,557
    As it's quite a small plant, l would just cut it down to the next shoot. By then that should be easy to spot.
     I'd also advise giving it a feed, plants in pots use up the goodness in the compost quite quickly. You may need to top up the compost level as well  :)
  • That’s great thanks for your help.