Forum home Problem solving

Lawn pest identification

shaun12345shaun12345 Posts: 3
edited 13 February in Problem solving
Hi new to this forum, hoping someone could help.
Just moved into a property and the lawn was over 12 inches tall. I cut the lawn with a strimmer and racked up the grass, problem is whilst doing so i was treading in the long grass into the soil.
Anyway this turned into a bit of a mess.
I decided i was going to extend the patio anyway and will seed the lawn after this. 
I started digging the lawn this morning only to find loads and loads of these tiny maggots/white worms in the lawn, they are very small, i would say maggot legnth but very skinny.
I would like to know if anyone know what they are and if i need to do anything about them, i have attached photos. 
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,571
    This is a complete guess, but l'm wondering if they're the very early stages of chafer grubs.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,204
    That was my first thought, too, but they should be much bigger by now. I think you need to clear all the dead material from the area to give you a clear view of the lawn. Then you can assess its state. The grubs may be feeding on the rotting grass rather than the roots.
  • Thank you, i have now cleared the lawn with a rake which is nearly bare!!! I kept finding these even 2 inches below the surface when digging the patio.
    Thanks for your replies 
    Is it @wild edges who knows all the bugs and things?
    Sorry, that hasn't worked. I will try again. @wild edges
    No, can't do it. You need an expert  though.
    It worked ! Can you help please @wild edges ?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,497
    It's nice to feel wanted :D
    I'd have a guess at bibionid fly larvae but it's hard to tell without a detailed photo. Bibionids are things like St Mark's fly. I think they do a bit of root damage but nothing too bad. I find groups of them like this now and then but I've never noticed them cause problems.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Perfect,  thankyou everyone for your comments. 
    Take care