Forum home Plants

Recommend Bush Tomato Varieties

pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 95
I've just sown cordon varieties of Rosella and Sweet Million and have a bit more room for some bush ones - can anyone recommend one that is good in flavour with a slight acidity to them, please? 

Thanks. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,496
    Maskotka is a small bush variety that I liked.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pam100Pam100 Posts: 68
    totally agree with Pete.8. Maskotka has been my choice for the last 2 years and I’ve bought seeds again for this year. I grow them in large plastic pots which I recycle each year, 2 plants to a pot. They have to be raised off the ground as they do trail.  Fingers crossed they will be successful again this year. 
  • That's good to hear @Pete.8 and @Pam100.  I've been given some Maskotka seeds to try this year.
    I usually grow several - Sungold, Black or Chocolate Cherry, Black Krim and others but thought I'd have another go at container/trailing ones rather than Tumbling Toms.

• agoodrumagoodrum Nottingham Posts: 38
    Hi.  I've grown maskotka for around ten years each season and they have  never let me down yet.  Hope yours grow well.  I prefer bush to cordon varieties but that's probably because I get lazy pinching out cordon sideshoots 😁😁
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,910
    I hear Maskotka can be good for hanging baskets too.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,496
    I did grow one in a big hanging basket some years ago.
    Problem was it got to nearly 3ft high, despite my best efforts.
    It still produced loads of very tasty toms. though.
    Ideal as patio tomatoes probably
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pinkskyinthecitypinkskyinthecity Nottinghamshire, England Posts: 95
    Thanks for your replies everyone - would you say they're got a good acidic taste? I taken to varieties that have more of a tang than the more popular varieties. I've grown Sungold last year and they came out quite nice. I'm looking at deciding on toms that don't need too much efforts in staking. The cordons take tend to be too tall for my raised bed and need so much support. 
  • agoodrumagoodrum Nottingham Posts: 38
    I'd say maskotka are acidic in taste and you don't generally need to stake them. Sometimes just a little tie-in to a small cane to begin with, say 12 inches from the soil level.  Then they tend to hang just right for me.  I put mine in a tub standing on another tub about waste height in my greenhouse.  Then they hang over to make picking easy. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,064
    The problem is that the flavour of tomatoes can vary due to growing conditions, and people's personal taste, so it isn't really possible to say - that one's sweet, that one's sour'. 
    People like different flavours too. I have quite a poor sense of smell and taste, so I find it hard to judge accurately anyway, but I often find one tomato tasteless, yet my daughter will love it.
    I often grow Sungold, which I find sweet, and most people generally like it, but many people find it too sour in flavour.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• A good one for pots is Baby Boomer...it is a cherry tomato which does not get too big, crops heavily for a long period and has a good flavour.