Forum home Problem solving

Spider Plant problem

I have 2 spider plants which have previously had 'babies' on them.  It has been several years since they last had 'babies' and I would like to know if anyone has a solution for this.  They are both in good light.

• msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 274
    A few of my spider plants look quite poorly themselves (due to my erratic watering, being left in an unheated room with low light exposure, etc), but they keep producing babies....

Maybe have a look at this website: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/spider-plant/getting-spiderettes-on-plants.htm

It mentioned: "It seems to be the opinion in many online forums that a spider plant needs to be root bound to form these offsets. A tightly planted container may be the key to a spider plant not producing babies. Make sure you ensure good drainage too, or root rot may become a problem."

All my spider plants are quite root bound probably that's why.
  • Many thanks.  I have just re-potted my spider plants and discovered that one of them was in too large a pot, so that's probably why that one ceased to have babies!   Hopefully, now they are both in the right-sized pots and new compost, they will start producing babies again.  I will look at the website as well.  Thanks for your help.