Forum home Problem solving

Hornbeam hedge planted to close to fence

I need some advice please.  I had hornbeam bare root hedging plants planted along my wooden fence last November.  However, I am now worried that the plants were put in far too close to the fence, only 20cm away, it is a staggered row but I want a fairly tall, dense hedge, have they been planted far to close to the fence and if so is it too late for me to uproot them and replant.  Any advice would be really appreciated.

• Seems rather close to me but others will have further advice.  If you only planted bare root in November and if you need to re plant further away from the fence, I would think you could still do it now without setting the plants back.  See what others think tho before you take the plunge :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,984
    Unless the fence is completely closed, they'll just grow through it. 
    If it's solid, the plants nearest it may not thrive, but that will depend on your soil and conditions. As @philippasmith2  says, you could replant those ones further out if you're concerned. 

Hornbeam is very forgiving though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I have a 5ft enclosed fence but the plants have been put in only 20cm away from the fence so I definitely want to move them out to about 40-50cm.  They are small 40-60cm bareroot and were only planted last week of November.  If I move them next week I am assuming they will survive?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 45,984
    They'll be fine unless you let them get dried out.
    Again, it depends where you live. I wouldn't even need to water then in here. My favourite hedge  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....