Forum home Plants

Is this the dreaded JKW

edited 11 February in Plants
Afternoon gardeners! 

I’m prospectively buying a house and the survey I have had done has highlighted the possible presence of Japanese knotweed

I’ve shown this to a few people and they all are quite sure it’s not JKW. There will no doubt be a more thorough survey done in time but I’m after other opinions.

and if it is….. 
what the most effective way to proceed on a sort it yourself level. If we proceed with the purchase then there will be no money for this to be sorted professionally for some time as it’s a cash purchase 

thank you all in advance 

I hope the imgur link works 

John 

• edited 11 February
    Thank you
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    edited 11 February
    All the green growth that I can see looks like Spanish bluebells to me.

Are there any green/reddish leafy shoots anywhere?  Either on the property itself or on neighbouring properties?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,857
    Looks more like bluebells.  If you stick a fork in you should find the green tops are attached to bulbs.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,601
    It looks like dreaded bluebells to me. As for getting rid of them, well it’s like trying to teach tap dancing to jelly fish.
    The stick bit looks like a tree seedling, again, give it a pull.  Japanese knotweed has heart shaped leaves and hollow stems.
     Have your solicitor put in a clause that if JKW shows up within six months , the vendor is responsible for the cost of eradication.  Most JKW will be below ground at this time of year, so if you were selling a house with it, now is the time to do it. I also see an aquilegia rearing its head. (second photo)
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    You could knock on any neighbours doors and ask. If there is JKW they will likely know about it.
  • All the green growth that I can see looks like Spanish bluebells to me.

Are there any green/reddish leafy shoots anywhere?  Either on the property itself or on neighbouring properties?

Honest I can’t remember! 
    It was around 3 weeks ago when we viewed and had our offer accepted. 
    Then a week to wait for the survey to be done and a week for the report 

but Thankyou you have eased my initial sense of dread 
  • The stick bit looks like a tree seedling, again, give it a pull.  Japanese knotweed has heart shaped leaves and hollow stems.
     Have your solicitor put in a clause that if JKW shows up within six months , the vendor is responsible for the cost of eradication.  Most JKW will be below ground at this time of year, so if you were selling a house with it, now is the time to do it. I also see an aquilegia rearing its head. (second photo)
    The house backs onto parkland and there’s some huge trees about. The house has been through probate so the sellers are most likely innocent about there knowing of weather it’s there or not. 
    I’ll definitely look into the clause and the possibility of it thank you 
  • Also 

what’s an aquilegia? 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324
    Acquilegia ... a pretty cottage garden plant ... also known as Granny's Bonnets.  They selfseed around the place

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-seeds/aquilegia-seeds/aquilegia-seeds-pretty-bonnets-mix_mh-430?feed=shopping&source=SGWEBPPC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrM7suOH39QIV6oxoCR2OfgsjEAQYAyABEgJyePD_BwE

Absolutely nothing to worry about
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh