Forum home Plants

Climber for North wall?

Hi, I'm looking for an evergreen climber to grow up a North Wall.

Ideally it'll need to be ok in a container, shouldn't be too sensitive to the wind, and I'd love something that will grow fairly rapidly to approx. 12 feet / 3 metres. There are strong wire supports in place already.

It's quite an open position, but just never gets direct sunlight. It's also quite windy here.

Some ideas I had so far with my concerns:

Honeysuckle
I have honeysuckle in the back garden and powdering mildew is a constant problem so not keen on that as an option.

Akebia
Sounds like it might need a more sheltered / sunny position?

Euonymous fortunie Gaiety
Will it grow big enough / fast enough?

Pyracantha 'Orange Glow'
Any issues with this?

Clematis
I already have Guernsey Cream in this spot (pictured) but it's not really reaching the heights in after 2 years. Plus I'd like something evergreen, and I think the evergreen clematis all prefer full sun, right?

Any advice gratefully received - thanks!

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,453
    edited 10 February
    Getting the clematis into the ground will help, in terms of coverage. Is there any particular reason they have to be in pots? 

Trachelospermum might work as an evergreen climber, if your area is reasonably mild and sheltered. There isn't that much space to combine different climbers though.
  • Thanks for replying. I thought about Trachelospermum but the cold wind really does whip around the houses here so decided against it.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,314
    Of the ones you've listed, Pyracantha is about the only one that fits the requirements.
    The Euonymous would be ok, but isn't likely to make that size , even if it was in the ground.

Honeysuckles are never happy in containers. Messy on house walls anyway.

Don't expect anything to grow 'rapidly'. Anything that does, takes more maintenance, and even climbers which take a few years to get going can be thuggish.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks. Pyracantha it is then!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,314
    You may get less flowering/berries, but it certainly won't mind the aspect, or the wind.

I've grown that one in two gardens - both in north or north east situations. The first time, it never saw daylight at all because it was in a north facing corner next to the front door. Never bothered it.
    I have two in a north east facing site in this garden. They're against a fence, so the other side gets more flowers and fruit, but they flower and fruit on the NE side too    :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks, always good to get someone else's confirmation