Forum home Plants

Cool ‘Blue’ geraniums for shade/part shade?

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
I’m looking for some long-flowering cool blue/violet/pale lavender geraniums that definitely don’t err on the pink side, that will be happy in mostly shade. The amount of sun in the North-facing spot ranges from a couple of hours of morning sun to dappled shade to no direct sun at all. but it’s kind of all ‘bright’ shade due to higher light intensity in my location.

I’m currently looking at Johnson’s Blue, Azure Rush and Orion. I’m keen to hear what these look like in reality - are they more lilac pink rather than cool toned? Any experience of these or alternative suggestions would be most welcome!

Cheers.

• Another one you might consider is 'Cloud Nine'. I've seen it on the Glendoick website and am tempted myself.
    https://shop.glendoick.com/plantShop/product-GERANIUM-CLOUD-NINE-id3838
    Sunny Dundee
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    "Johnson's" Blue l would say is on the blue spectrum, but "Azure Rush" a bit more on the pinky lilac side. Bear in mind though that people probably perceive things differently. 
    I would suggest "Brookside" and "Mayflower",  they both do well for me in the shadier part of my garden. "Mayflower" is the more blue of the two, one of my favourites. 
    https://www.ballyrobertgardens.com/products/geranium-sylvaticum-mayflower
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    Brilliants, thanks @Balgay.Hill,  @AnniD and @SlipperyElm, that’s fantastically helpful, so Johnson’s Blue, Brookside and Mayflower on the list and Azure Rush off!

Cloud Nine looks really pretty, Balgay, looks a tad pinkish in some online photos but impossible to tell from those. Be interesting to hear if anyone has it..
  • OmoriOmori North YorkshirePosts: 1,659
    Here is my Brookside, Nollie:

• TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,588
    @Nollie
    I have G. "Mrs Kendall Clarke" growing in partial shade. She's a paler nice steely-grey-blue colour. Big flush of fairly long lasting colour late spring and usually gives a second show after hard cut back.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,132
    ..this is 'Orion' Nollie...  like 'Brookside' it's inclined to flop... these days I prefer a darker form in 'Eureka Blue'.. but I have both..

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,741
    Geranium nodosum prefers full shade, I have a hydrid called Svelte Lilac, very nice with glossy leaves, but the flowers are small and unassuming.

Geranium Blue Cloud is a bit of a monster, about a metre high and a metre wide, but with hundreds of pale blue flowers all Summer long. I'm not sure how shade tolerant it is, so maybe do some research on it.

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    More good options, thanks @Topbird, looks lovely, @Marlorena (does Eureka blue flop too?) and @KeenOnGreen - I have the white version of Nodosum in mind for there.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,588
    LOL @Nollie - you've got me at it now🤣 - just spent £60 at Beth Chatto's online shop - going to collect on Monday...

Purchase included 3 x G. Phaeum "Misty Samabor" which is a new one they introduced and I couldn't get hold of last year.

Also tried to buy 3 x G. Eureka Blue but only 2 plants available. It's another one I'd tried to get hold of last year but nowhere had any stock available. As it was, I've had to settle for the last 2 plants today - they've run out now. 

Good to hear Eureka Blue is a good one @Marlorena. I like Orion and Brookside and still grow Rozanne but I've seen a few comments that Eureka is the best.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,132
    I'm glad you managed to get some of 'Eureka'... @Topbird

@Nollie
    ..well they all flop in shade so yes it will flop.. you might prefer a lower spreading type like Ger. wallichianum 'Buxton's Blue', which does not go pink where I am, but always a risk it might for you..

..here's a close up of 'Eureka Blue'... I can't find other pics of it right now, it sprawls less out in the open.. it will also semi climb..

Ger. himalayense 'Gravetye'.. May-July... with Salvia caradonna.. self supporting clumps.

..meadow cranesbill Ger. pratense... needs support, long season.. quite tall..