Forum home Garden design

Alumindum Sheeting to front Sleepers

I saw the Rich brothers design a garden in Wales on a slope using sleepers fronted with aluminium sheeting. I would like to do the same in my garden but have been unable to find a photograph of the installation to persuade my other half.  If you are able to assist I would be very grateful

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Was that on an episode of Garden Rescue?  You should be able to find it in BBC iPlayer, if so.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,112
    I remember this episode from Newport Cwmcarn series 4 it is probably the best programme of all the Garden Rescue programmes.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,112
    Episode 19 if it is the one I think you mean
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Thank you Suze - I will check it out.
    Watched it again amazing to see how they dealt with the slope. The absolute bonus was the view! 
  • I saw the Rich brothers design a garden in Wales on a slope using sleepers fronted with aluminium sheeting. I would like to do the same in my garden but have been unable to find a photograph of the installation to persuade my other half.  If you are able to assist I would be very grateful

I noticed, when watching a Hugh Whittingstall River Cottage program, that they had used corrugated aluminium sheets, curved round into a circle, to create a raised circular bed with a large mulberry tree planted in the centre.
    I have no idea why the mulberry needed to be in a raised bed, head clearance perhaps, but I filed away the idea of using aluminium sheeting as a possibility for raised beds in my own garden.
    A lot cheaper than stone walls but not so long lived. My soil is shallow, with a rock hard substrata and gritty, almost no nutrients. I am on the edge of the clay pit spoil heaps so it is hard work to grow anything really well, except brambles and field grass which seem to thrive.