Forum home Problem solving

NE facing garden

Hi ... I'm in the process of buying a 2 story Victorian house. BUT, it has a NE facing garden and given the time of year, finding it hard to gauge how much sun it might get in the summer. I know parts will be shaded, but would ideally want somewhere to sit in the summer, BBQ, grow plants. Garden is approx 10M long. Mid terrace. No other obvious sun obstacles. Please reassure me it won't be dark all year round....  thank you 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    My front garden faces NE , but sees several hours of morning sunshine during late-April to late-August ; so all is not doom and gloom ;).
    See above for the tremendous range of plants that will thrive under semi or shaded conditions . Personally I prefer shade  , for who really wants a hot & sunny garden all day ?

• Thank you. So don't you get anything in the afternoon?
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Not particularly , the front is fairly shaded from late-August .
    I can still grow a good range of trees and shrubs though ; perennial Geraniums , Hellebores , Schizostylis (Hesperantha) , Desfontainea , Mahonia , Crinodendron , Liriope and Ophiopogon , Ilex 'Golden King' and Parrotia all flourish , so no worries then !!
    Only negative side is that it takes longer for the car to thaw in the Winter ;)
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 473
    My last garden was NNE and had sun all day in the summer, the only shade was right by the house and the shade cast by the fence in the evening

This photo was taken at about 16:00 in June 

You'll likely find the end of the garden will be sunny pretty much year round, the rest will be affected by all the usually things like fences, any trees, shrubs or buildings in other gardens, things like that!
  • Thank you 
  • WalkingWalking Posts: 14
    Jane,

What's growing there at the moment?

Are there trees and large shrubs that will block the light?

Would mirrors enhance available light?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,095
    It'll get plenty of sun/light, especially in the morning, but it depends what else is around it to block the light, as @Walking, and others,  say   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 274
    Walking said:
    Jane,

What's growing there at the moment?

Are there trees and large shrubs that will block the light?

Would mirrors enhance available light?

I remember people here said before that mirrors in the garden are not a good idea for the birds