Forum home Plants

Grass ID

WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 223
Can anyone help me to identify what type of grass this is, please? I've lost the label and the search terms I've tried so far are far too broad and returning too many results for me to narrow it down properly. Part of me thinks it might be some kind of miscanthus, but I could be completely off track. If anyone is able to help me narrow it down a bit more, that would be fantastic. The photo of the seed head was taken this week, so this is long after flowering. Thanks!

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,205
    Miscanthus but unable to tell which one. They can vary  in size.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,655
    "some kind of miscanthus " is about good as you'll get  until it starts growing and we can see the foliage.
    Devon.
  • WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 223
    @GardenerSuze and @Hostafan1, thanks for your comments, much appreciated. In that case, I will chalk it up as just "miscanthus" for now until I can get some foliage pics! Hopefully then it might reveal itself a bit more. Thanks again :)
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,205
    It looks as if it is about four feet in height which might help narrow it down. Cut it to ground level in March. Don't be tempted to spit it or move it until it is actively growing. Grasses should be split into large clumps only , small pieces take a long time to get going. See Knoll Gardens website for lots of photos and a future id.