Forum home Plants

Will ivy stem attach to wall?

Hi everyone,
                  I've planted an ivy plant against a wall, and put masking tape on the stem in the hope it will grow aerial roots and attach itself to the wall. Will this work i.e. will new  aerial roots grow on existing stems, or only on new growth?
Many thanks, Simon

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 626
    What you have done might help, but it will grow aerial roots without your help.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Thank you. I had to put the tape on otherwise it would just flop onto the ground though!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    You can certainly use tape to avoid using a cane or wires etc, but you'd better hope you don't get any rain - it'll just drop off. Masking tape wouldn't last five minutes here  ;)

I've done it with gaffer tape on climbers in the past.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,167
    I would take it off the wall completely, layer it along the ground. Cut some pieces of garden wire and anchor it to the ground at different points. It will form new roots all the way along. It will take a couple of years to climb but it will be worth the wait as it will climb not in just one place but also where the new roots form .
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,018
    edited 7 February
    Gorilla tape would work.  You'd only need a maximum of four strips for that height.  I'd make the middle of each strip non-stick by putting another bit of tape sticky side to sticky side to stop the middle sticking to the actual stem and giving the stem room to expand (a bit like a sticking plaster!). It will then be easier to remove without causing any damage - to your plant, not sure about your wall!
  • Thanks for all your replies! I wasn't asking about the effectiveness of the tape, but whether it would attach itself to the wall, and I wonder how long it will take. It was really windy yesterday and the bigger leaves at the bottom were blowing about so much they started to detach the lower bits of tape, hence me beefing it up nearer the bottom. I can use a different tape if it starts coming off.
    Great idea GardenerSuze but I'm keen to get it growing on the wall asap as it's directly opposite my lounge window!
    And great tip PlantmindedI'll do that if I revert to a cloth tape!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    Even the most vigorous ivy will take a few years to take off, and that's a tiny specimen, so you'll still have to be patient.
    The gaffer tape comes off without any problem if you ever need to remove it. It'll be hidden by the foliage anyway.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,167
    I don't think think growing it using the tape will mean that it will grow more quickly. It will take time to settle and may not fix and climb this year. This will be a slow process at first. 
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,155
    I've done that and it works; you need to give it a full growing season though so may need to replenish the tape.
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • I'm not yet concerned about how quickly it grows, I'm just initially want to make sure it sticks to the wall. I think I'll change the tape to a stronger one, with tape on the back so it doesn't stick to the stem itself!