Forum home Plants

Name that bud!

emski_fletcheremski_fletcher Chester, UKPosts: 41
I’m hoping for an alder? Hope somebody can tell me. Thanks 

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,023
    It looks a bit like hazel to me but will you put a pic up of the whole shrub please emski_fletcher?
  • Prunus?
    Sunny Dundee
  • emski_fletcheremski_fletcher Chester, UKPosts: 41
    Uff said:
    It looks a bit like hazel to me but will you put a pic up of the whole shrub please emski_fletcher?
    Thanks!

And this if you can please? Need to decide whether to keep things!
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,023
    I don't think the first one is a hazel seeing the whole shrub, it looks too structured.

• Second one is a corkscrew willow, possible golden curls

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/82656/salix-babylonica-var-pekinensis-tortuosa-(f)/details

They are very vigorous willows so make sure you have plenty of room. Have a look at the link and some Google sites, to show eventual size.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    The first one reminds me of an elm sapling ... where did you acquire it?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

The first one reminds me of an elm sapling ... where did you acquire it?
    Thanks. When we bought some land behind our garden my husband grabbed a few branches and shrubs which had grown there on a fly tipped waste soil mound and put them in the new border to see what try would do!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    It's a possibility then ... let's wait and see what the leaves are like ... sadly the Dutch Elm beetle means that there are very few mature elms left in the UK, but saplings grow until the trunks are large enough to be of interest to the beetles.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    I think you'll just have to wait and see to get a definitive ID on both, although the info given already is as good as you're likely to get.  :)
    Once they have foliage, it's easier. 
    However, both of those will become huge if they continue to thrive, so you may regret putting them in. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....