Forum home Plants

cleaning patio with diluted bleach - would it hurt the plants?

Hi

I need to remove some lichens from my patio, and i heard the best way to do it is with diluted bleach. My worry is that after cleaning the patio with the water pressure machine, the water with the diluted bleach will go to the soil where i have some plants

I fear i know the answer but... will it harm the soil and the plants? If so, has anybody had this problem before? 

Thanks

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,022
    edited 6 February
    Hello @Javi.xeneize, try using just water in your pressure washer and work in one direction initially then across this direction for the second wash.  Bleach is not good as it can kill the beneficial microorganisms in soil, affecting soil health.  It also breaks down into salt which can affect the uptake of water and nutrients by plant roots and ultimately kill plants. There are some environmentally friendly products you could use if the pressure washing is inadequate.  A product called "Wet and Forget" is popular.  It is non-caustic and doesn't contain bleach.  Another, called "Algon" is an environmentally friendly alternative.  This guide from the RHS may also help you:
    Algae, lichens, liverworts and moss on hard surfaces / RHS Gardening
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Lichens are a good thing to have.
    Bleach isn't.  :/
    There's no need to use anything other than a stiff brush or your pressure hose.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,542
    Bleach can also stain some type of patio slabs, so best to check that it is safe to use on your patio or test on a small area first.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,735
    Ours is north facing,in winter gets algae which is like a skating rink. The old man gets it off with just the power washer
  • WalkingWalking Posts: 14
    A deck brush and diluted fairy liquid was preferred method. 

Less water. less electricity.

But I was younger then
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,455
    "I need to remove some lichens from my patio"
    First question that springs to mind is "what material is your patio made of?"

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Paving of some kind presumably...

• Javi.xeneizeJavi.xeneize Posts: 149
    edited 7 February
    Thanks all. The patio is made of stone I think, not sure 100% of that I used the pressure washer and it cleans just a bit, there are some areas that can’t be cleaned up, see attached picture. I cleaned the whole slab with the pressure washer (check how dirty the other slabs are) but as you can see this is far from clean

https://ibb.co/YX0ZSNd
    They just look like concrete or similar. 
    I rarely bother cleaning slabs, unless they're in the shady areas of the garden [paths] when they can become extremely slippery.
    I can understand that you might want a patio to look smarter though. It really depends on how bothered you are about the appearance, but bleach isn't a great idea at all.  :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,542
    I use Patio Magic on some areas that are paved.
    I was surprised how easy it is to use and how well it worked.
    It's safe to use on most surfaces.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.