Forum home Plants

What will happen when I prune my fig tree?

B3B3 Posts: 21,433
My fig tree is in a container soon to be root pruned and moved to  the absolutely biggest container we can accommodate. 
It's a good shape but it's too big and maybe getting a bit leggy.
My question is: if I prune the branches - maybe a foot - what will happen? Will they bud along the branch or will the new growth bunch at the top of the branches where I've cut them?
In London. Keen but lazy.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,854
    Mine is in a big pot, and gone through the bottom to root in a corner of the greenhouse. Twice I've cut it down to a stump.  It loves it. It grows like a maniac. I don't feed or water it. I want rid because although it has lots of figs, either the mice or the blackbirds eat them before I get them.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320
    I cut them back at this time of year, and they put on new growth along the branches where there are buds …. then when they’re making new growth (in July? ) I cut that back to five leaves. That encourages fruiting and also keeps them from getting too leggy. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 21,433
    I'm being a bit precious, I fear😏 @fidgetbones
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,854
    Mine is in a big clay pot, 15 inch across and about 18inch tall.  I've not moved it in 20 years.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320
    edited 6 February
    💡 Make some cuttings from your prunings … then you’ll have too many and won’t feel so precious about them. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh