Forum home Plants

Rocket Gro compost

puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 141
Has anyone ever used Rocket Gro compost? I don't have a car so need to buy some MPC that can be delivered - It's either that or taxi, but taxis don't like stinky, wet bags of compost in their cars, unsurprisingly!

Crocus/Sarah Raven etc are so expensive, Wickes' minimum order is too large for me and no garden centre close by does delivery. The Rocket Gro packaging looks lovely and I like it's eco friendly, but has anyone tried it? 

Also, they sell fruit & veg compost and I'd like to grow some tomatoes and some easy veggies in containers this year. I was thinking that I should just buy MPC and use it for all planting, but is it better to buy the fruit & veg one instead? Could that also be used for potting on seedlings?

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 473
    I can’t comment on rocket grow, but dalefoot composts are lovely, peat free composts that have a variety of ranges including multi purpose and veg compost :)
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 141
    Thanks @zugenie, I was having a look at those too and they look great :) Are they ok for potting on seedlings as well? I'm trying to minimise the amounts of different composts I'm storing in our very, very small shed :p I'd heard that they might be too moisture retentive for that, but I've never grown something from seed before so perhaps I totally misunderstood
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098
    Why do you need lots of different composts?
    What have you already got?
    Any multi purpose is fine for tomatoes and seedlings. You can add extras [grit, perlite or similar] to aid drainage if it's a more substantial type.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• zugeniezugenie Posts: 473
    Thanks @zugenie, I was having a look at those too and they look great :) Are they ok for potting on seedlings as well? I'm trying to minimise the amounts of different composts I'm storing in our very, very small shed :p I'd heard that they might be too moisture retentive for that, but I've never grown something from seed before so perhaps I totally misunderstood
    I use it for everything and I’ve never had a problem with it being too moisture retentive :)
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 141
    I've got aquatic for the container pond, leftover ericaceous for the blueberries and a small bag of seed compost @Fairygirl. Do you think the ericaceous would be alright for the toms and seedlings?
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,601
    Fertile fibre was the highest rated seed compost in this year’s Which? trial. It’s very expensive but the price includes postage.

If storage space is at a premium I would just buy the multi purpose option.

https://www.fertilefibre.com/compost.html
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 626
    Depends what you want to pay Wickes 3 bags £12 +£5 delivery sounds ok to me even if you put some on your borders