Forum home Plants

Suitable shrubs

w.farr10w.farr10 Posts: 2
edited 4 February in Plants
Hi,
    Can anyone suggest suitable shrubs(low maintenance) for a narrow border in front of a low wall in my front garden. Would prefer those with non invasive roots as there is block paving other side of border. Would like an alternative to laurel or boxus.
Regards.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,610
    edited 4 February
    Hello  :)
    When you say "narrow", please can you be a little more specific? 
    Also, is it sunny or shady site, Also do you know what type of soil, e.g clay ?
  • w.farr10w.farr10 Posts: 2
    It’s about 40 cm deep ,sunny aspect and mainly top soil .
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,245
    Not a lot of room, but the Portuguese laurel isn't like the cherry laurel. Much better behaved, and can be kept tighter too.
    The shrubby honeysuckles - Lonicera nitida or pileata, can also be kept as a hedge, although they need a bit more regular clipping than box.
    Euonymous fortunei [the small leaved types] mostly variegated, but plain ones as well, which may be under a different name - E. japonica possibly. 
    All of those are evergreen [although some euonymous aren't as tough in colder areas]  if that's what you'd prefer, and are happy in most soils and climates  :)

If it doesn't need to be evergreen, Spireas will do the trick, and don't mind being pruned back if they get a bit too big. Some Hebes would also be fine. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,610
    Lavender might be a consideration. I have some in a border of around the same depth in my front garden. 
    Depending on where you are, you could go for the French variety which are more tender, but the wall would give protection. 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,627
    They are not hardy in all parts of the country, but have a look at Pittosporum. There are dwarf varieties, such as P. Golfball, which only growns to about 1ft high, but most will grown into sizeable shrubs or trees, but that takes years.

My favourites are P. Gold Star, P. Wrinkled Blue and P. Garnettii.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,041
    edited 4 February
    Shrubby salvias might be good. I have a narrow border, about your size, against a low garden wall. It's a thin strip between paving. Not fed or watered. If you're in the northern UK it might not be hardy. I prune back woody growth, to stop them getting leggy, so mine get to around a metre tall. Quite dense. Flowers from around May to Nov. Bees love it. Evergreen in London if it's a fairly mild winter like this one, down here.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,171
    Love the flowers on the wall very artistic.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,041
    edited 4 February
    Love the flowers on the wall very artistic.

I was on my way to a friend's house with a bunch of dahlias. They are photo bombing. Long story.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,018
    If you'd like something evergreen, try Griselinia littoralis.  It has bright apple green leaves, can be happily confined to the space you describe and can be kept at whatever height you prefer.  The roots are fine and well behaved - they won't lift your block paving.  Portuguese laurel is a nice evergreen too but that space might be a bit too confining for it to grow well.  If you prefer flowers, those shrubby salvias look good!