Forum home Plants

Bottle brush youngsters

PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 69
Anyone out there grown bottle brush plants from seed ?    I have potted on seedlings  and now into second spring    Several plants.  Some have tall single stem plants. And some shorter  multiple  shoots.  It’s an experiment really  not sure whether to let the tall stemmed ones just keep on going up ?  Or chop and stunt their growth.     And maybe then sell them for charity ……. Not sure how to do that      Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this     Thanks in advance 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,559
    edited 4 February
    Bumping up just in case someone can help  :)

Found this 
    https://gardenerspath.com/plants/ornamentals/grow-bottlebrush/
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,438
    Never grown Callistemon, but it's usually advisable to keep plants stocky, so you nip out the growing tips to encourage shoots lower down. 
  • PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 69
    Thankyou.  But how do they get to this if you keep them stocky?
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,201
    They don't. A bush like that is probably grafted but if it isn't, then you have to grow a single stem, removing side shoots until it reaches the height you want. Then you pinch out the top and allow it to bush out. You have to trim and shape it regularly. Normally, these shrubs are multi-stemmed and rather untidy, though very pretty. That picture is so artificially perfect that it makes me a bit suspicious.
  • PotwomanPotwoman Posts: 69
    Ok thanks. That’s helpful.  I think I will trim all mine down. To thicken them