Forum home Plants

Tulips appearing

earlydazeearlydaze Posts: 84
Anyone have tulips popping up? In pots- have been kept sheltered and dry all winter- am worried it’s a bit too early! Silly but is my first time growing them in pots-

• FireFire LondonPosts: 13,952
    I have green tips.
  • earlydazeearlydaze Posts: 84
    that’s a thanks fire- are you watering them? Should I move them out from under cover (they are under the roof overhang so not catching any rain)?
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,952
    Mine are out in the garden and in fairly large pots so they are not yet dry. But if this lack of rain goes on through Feb in London, I will have to start watering all the pots, large and small.

You should be fine to put them out in the garden so the soil is damp. But keep an eye on the rainfall. If they are dry now, I would give them a drink.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,148
    What kind of tulips are they?
    The species ones would be appearing now anyway, but in mild areas, the later ones will too.
    I wouldn't water anything too much, just bring them out into the open a little. Tulips don't like being permanently soaked, which is why they need sharp drainage and sun.

I moved my species ones out from the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago, and they'll be fine as they're in very, very gritty soil, and still in a sheltered part of the garden, but it's wet that does the damage for any of them, which is why so many of the later, bigger types are treated more like annuals.
    It's only the species tulips which are reliably perennial, and if in the right conditions.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

They are Rosalie- and one other I am not sure of- will do some research! Thanks for help
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,057
    Mine have started appearing too. I'd planted mine in what turned out to be a waterlogged pot. So had to empty them out and replant. So I wasn't sure if they'd be ok! 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,009
    I agree with @Fairygirl, no need to water tulips - there's enough water and nutrients in the bulb to keep them growing until showers arrive, unless they are in pots which are placed in the rain shadow of a house or fence.  Too much water will cause the bulb to rot which is why many add extra grit when planting.  I have a very sandy soil which tulips seem to enjoy, many returning every year.
    thats exactly where mine are @Plantminded - so will move them out into the open- thanks
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,009
    Good move @earlydaze 😊 !
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 670
    I’m in theNE, moved my pots into a more open area and gave them a water yesterday. Watering in January felt very strange! can’t remember doing that before.