Forum home Problem solving

Storm damaged plum tree

Our plum tree suffered badly in the storms. Photos below. About a third of the trunk ripped. Is it doomed to die or any chance it will survive? If so, anything I should do?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    edited 31 January
    Start by cutting off the two branches that have ripped, making as smooth a cut as you can close to the main trunk. Then you will have to hope. With a wound that size , it may callus over or you may get infected with silverleaf.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,510
    ... or you may get infected with silverleaf.
    Hopefully jonathan will escape it ... but the tree might get infected  ;)

Sorry ... I coudn't resist ...  I'll get my coat ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Not looking pretty.

I'm a bit worried about the left side (last picture). There are definitely nooks where water will probably get trapped. I assume it'd be best to cut it out a little lower to clear them?

It really is about a third of the trunk ripped off.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    I think you have done all you can. Sealants used to be standard practice, but it is thought that these trap water in and can induce rot.  It should form a callus now and seal itself.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks for your help @fidgetbones

I'll see how it goes.