Forum home Plants

Grass cutting

gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 322
My grass is growing at a rate of knots. Will i cause any problems if I cut it? I don't have a 'lawn' just an area of grass of it makes any difference. (As in i don't do anything other than cut it) 

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 876
    If your ground isn't soggy (like mine) then you can cut it. Just don't cut it too short.

I'll be lucky if I can get on to ours before April.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,505
    I cut mine yesterday after the dew burned off - no problem at all and it looks a lot smarter
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • gjautosgjautos BuckinghamshirePosts: 322
    Thanks both. It's remarkably dry considering it's January. I'll get the mower out next weekend!
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,072
    My Dad told me he cut his this afternoon. Go for it if it's dry and not frosty, but set the mower high. Trimming the edges will make it look nice and tigy even if the grass is just trimmed a bit.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 999
    I cut my lawn this afternoon and thought, yes, things are getting better!  You're right @JennyJ, trimming the edge is key - even better if you can weed the borders too!
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 281
    Cut mine this afternoon as the weather was stunning! Blades nice and high, but it still looks great.  
    Amazing though how damp the soil still is, given that the light shower we had Friday night was our only rain in the last 4 weeks.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,114
    Our ground is soaking, but if I felt the grass looked hideous, I'd probably consider doing it.
    No real growth here though , despite the warmer weather. Only on a couple of bits I reseeded last year.
    Even tidying all the edges can make a difference if it looks a bit messy, without cutting the grass itself.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,588
    :*)
    Devon.
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,514
    I did mine today. It was a lovely day and I needed a break from making a hole for the new tree. 

Never thought I’d be able to cut it in winter but, so far, it’s not really been that bad here (apart from the two storms we’ve endured).