Forum home Problem solving

New oak trees

I have started some oak trees from acorns and now the leaves are drying and turning white. Any idea what is causing this? Pictures at attached. 

• LeadFarmerLeadFarmer Posts: 1,155
    Mmm, not sure, but I collected acorns when from a famous oak tree (parliament oak) when my son was born fifteen years ago. All the acorns germinated and I potted them on. I still have them in pots on my patio. I did donate two to my local park when they were planting a new area, and I do want to plant out some more where they can be left to grow, I'm just not sure where.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,171
    You'll need to pot them on as they grow, and also not let them get too warm or dried out. They'll need a soil based mix to grow on in, unless you're constantly refreshing the mix they're in. Those card containers will soak up moisture very quickly too which isn't ideal.

If they're inside, they need to be outside.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,861
    All my acorn seedlings (Quercus robur)have oak leaf shaped leaves. Do you know what variety these are?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
    Good point @fidgetbones. They look 'oak-y' from early on, which those don't  :/

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,356
    I wonder if they’re Quercus ilex … Holm oak?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I am told they are white oak. 

Do I need to put them outside even if temperature is below freezing?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    If they've been inside all of their life, then that's the reason for the leaves drying at the edges.  You'll need to 'harden them off' by placing outside during the day and bringing back inside at night, for about 10 days.  After that, they can (and should) be left outside permanently.  Depending on location, if your daytime temps are currently below freezing it would be a big shock, so would wait until daytime temps are a few degrees above before starting the hardening off process.  Most of the UK is in the latter category at the moment, so would be fine if based here.  I agree with the advice to re-pot them and would likely use ones twice the size, which should be good for a year.  I generally use tall 'rose' pots for tree saplings, so the roots have more room. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I have a grow box with lights and heating mats that they have been in…
    edited 29 January
    "I have a grow box with lights and heating mats that they have been in…"

That's the problem  :)

Follow @BobTheGardener's advice re acclimatising them. If you're in the UK [even in colder, more exposed parts ] they should never have been indoors at all. 

• What about apple and peach trees??? Are they ok to start in the grow box? I am located in Missouri in the USA