Forum home Tools and techniques

Can matt emulsion be used to dye fabric?

Calling on crafty types. Can I dilute black , matt emulsion to use as a dye for polycotton sheeting?
I don't need it to be totally even, a bit blotchy would be fine .
Devon.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    Our opinion is that it wouldn’t work. If you dilute it you dilute the fixative … it wouldn’t really ‘take’

Really the quickest and easiest method is a pot of Dylon … you  can use it in a washing machine providing you follow the instructions. 

Poly cotton doesn’t take a dye as well as pure cotton, but you’ve said yiu don’t mind that. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,595
    I tried Dylon and it didn't "take "
    Given that paint marks your clothes when decorating and doesn't wash out, so I was thinking it might work
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    No it won't work I'm afraid.
    Emulsion is a suspension of pigment particles and lots of others particles in a liquid, so it's that that give the colour and the liquid evaporates as it dries - even at a low dilution at best your sheets would be a bit like sandpaper - maybe a useful exfoliant though :)
    And the bits would wash out in no time anyway.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    the "sheets" aren't to be used as bedlinen, but as wall hangings
    Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,113
    Oh good. It might have rubbed off on your skin and you’d have woken up looking like a collier after a night shift.😊

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,347
    edited 28 January
    As I said, polycotton doesn’t take dye well. It might be better to do a second session with Dylon, or even double strength and longer. It’s years since I’ve used Dylon but I used to use it a lot. 

OH (who understands these things better than I) says diluting the emulsion would dilute the carrier that holds the pigment and also dilute the pigment so it’ll just be a watery grey … and we don’t think polycotton will absorb that. 

You could paint it on undiluted, but that’d be like a painted canvas … quite stiff when it dries. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,700
    Unless you specifically want to use that piece of fabric you can buy black cotton fabric Hostafan. The sort I'm thinking of is used for curtain lining. 
    I've got , somewhat faded , polycotton, and I've got black emulsion, just thought I could put the two together.
    Devon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,508
    GO for it! :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,568
    Are you planning to do this in the bath?  In the washing machine?

Not a good plan in either case cos of gumming up teh works.

Just try a double or triple dose of Dylon and a machine wash with salt to fix it.   or maybe just paint the wall and forget the fabric.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw