Forum home Problem solving

Large lumps/mounds of soil on my lawn

Hello all. I am very much a beginner in gardening and I should be very grateful for any help/advice anyone might be able to give me. A couple of months ago large lumps/mounds of soil have sprouted up on my lawn. I should like to know what these are before I take any (wrong) action. Thank you. Paul

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,143
    Looks like a mole to me.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,634
    Looking at your photos, l tend to agree with @pansyface.
    Is the damage still going on ?
    https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/advice-tips/pests/how-to-get-rid-of-molehills-and-moles

Welcome to the forum by the way  :)
  • Thank you both. Yes, it was fairly localised but it's gone further in the last couple of weeks.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,143
    edited 27 January
    Moles are territorial, usually solitary animals. I think that spring is in the air and the men are out looking for lurve. 🙂

I used to deter moles from the lawn but this winter I was outnumbered and gave up.

It’s actually quite interesting to see how one species uses another to its advantage. If I stare at the mole hills I can sometimes see little bits of soil being pushed to the surface and, shooting out of that, terrified earthworms.

If I stare a bit longer, a couple of blackbirds come down and hoover up the worms. If the mole doesn’t catch ‘em, the blackbirds do. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SlipperyElmSlipperyElm Posts: 353
    Yes, you've got a mole!  They're usually active at this time of year.
  • Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I have been at this address for a good few years and this is the first time I've seen this phenomenon. Best wishes all.
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,115
    The moles are making a strategic pincer-attack movement on our garden from the two neighbouring properties and the paddock out the back. The little blighters.

Interesting that you no longer appear to be able to purchase Sork bulbs.