Forum home Plants

Buxus varieties

Hi
I have a few box balls in my garden, bought either from a garden centre or Lidl. 
The balls from the garden centre have much smaller leaves than the Lidl plants. The first two photos are from the GC balls, the second two from Lidl. Can anyone tell if these are different varieties? Pen included for scale of leaves

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,026
    They look very similar to me.  A lot depends on when the  plant was last trimmed, younger growth will have smaller leaves, enlarging as the plant grows.  Your plants may have been subject to different care regimes too, eg different quality compost, better feeding and watering.  I'd give them all a feed next month with an organic fertiliser like blood fish and bone and see if they catch up!
  • cork gardenercork gardener Posts: 73
    edited 25 January
    Thanks Plantminded, I'll see how they develop this year after a feed. The ones in the garden centre were €80 and the ones in Lidl were reduced to €10 (half price), they are smaller - but not by much. 
    I wondered if Lidl was selling a more vigorous variety 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,630
    There are different varieties, quite a few of them, but it's mostly Buxus sempervirens which we see in UK garden centres. Before we got rid of our Box (due to Box Caterpillar), we noticed that some plants were of a different variety, and a little bit more resistant to the Caterpillar. In the end, all succumbed, so they had to go.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,205
    The leaf size can vary on Buxus sempervirens .Perhaps your expensive form is seen as more desirable. Personally I would take cork gardeners excellent growing advice and enjoy both.  So many people struggle to grow them due to disease and caterpillar. Think it might be difficult to track down exactly which forms you have.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,205
    Sorry Plantminded's advice. 
  • Thanks everyone
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,349
    A lot of outlets [especially supermarkets etc] sell box grown overseas - Holland is the usual place. I believe it has a larger leaf. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• interesting, thanks fairygirl.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,004
    Yes as already said there are different cultivars. Buxus microphylla var japonica,  is said to be hardier than sempervirens, and has longer narrower leaves, but I would guess that would be more expensive not less. 
    AB Still learning