Forum home Plants

Bare Root Perennials

LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,460
Just a reminder, it's a good time to get your bare root perennials now. I ordered Persicaria a. 'Alba' from Farmer Gracy last year, and the supplied plant was way bigger than the usual 9cm pots you get online. It was massive by the end of summer. There's no plastic waste with bare root meaning it's more environmentally friendly.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    Nice plant @Loxley. I really can't keep buying more though. I already have an ever growing list... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,460
    edited 25 January
    I forgot to mention, the bare root plant from Farmer Gracy was much bigger and better than the cheap ones you see in Wilkos, B&M etc (after mixed results with those I was a bit wary).
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 519
    Where else can you get bare root perennials? It’s not something I see about often
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,030
    Hardy geraniums (Cranesbills) are commonly sold bare root - check out The Cranesbill Nursey site @zugenie, there are others too!
    Hardy geraniums (Cranesbills) are commonly sold bare root - check out The Cranesbill Nursey site @zugenie, there are others too!
    thank you! I will have a look on there once pay day has rolled around!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 1,030
    Another thought, I've bought Hostas bare root in the past from Bowden Hostas - something else to consider after pay day @zugenie !
    Another thought, I've bought Hostas bare root in the past from Bowden Hostas - something else to consider after pay day @zugenie !
    Thank you! There's lots of tempting things on Farmer Gracy, I will have to remember all of these for when I'm doing the front garden next year!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,174
    Farmer Gracy 10% discount code BBCGW22
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 35
    Just ordered 3 Geranium brookside, campanula superba, and a goliath phlox. Goodness knows where I will put them but I'm sure I'll find some gaps!! 😂 
  • You do need to be a bit careful though. I had some that were really rotten (literally) once. Definitely better for the environment to buy bare root. I haven’t tried Farmer Gracy which I always thought was only in the US…