Forum home Plants

Wisteria advice

aw32aw32 Posts: 4
This is my first post on the forum, although i've been reading for a while now, so hello everyone and thank-you for all the great topics and advice that i've read so far.

I am hoping that people will be able to offer some advice on what I should do with my wisteria.  We moved into a new property last year and inherited a wisteria that had been left to its own devices.  From the pictures, you can see that it was once a very mature wisteria that has been cut back down to the ground and it has re-sprouted from there.  There were a couple of flushes of flowers last year, but there were only a handful of blooms each time, although I am guessing it had not been pruned for a while.

I managed to untangle a lot of the growth, put up some support wires, and tied it in to where I want it, but, my question is, do I have too many thin stems coming up from the base and would it be beneficial to cut some of the stems away completely and keep just a few to create a better structure?

All comments and advice appreciated.  Thanks.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    I'm sorry, but my immediate reaction is that's entirely the wrong place to plant a wisteria in the first place. I realize that's not what you want to know but I think you could have major problems with your drains within a few years. Also, if you do keep it, you need to keep it well away from that gas outlet? as that could be dangerous if it gets blocked.

Wisterias can grow huge as you probably know already, it won't be possible to keep that one contained on your house wall. 

I'm really sorry but personally I would get rid of it asap.
  • I am no expert but I have one main 'trunk' on mine and I snip off any new growth from the trunk to keep it in check. 
  • aw32aw32 Posts: 4
    Great points, @Lizzie27 .  As much as i'd love to keep it, it's not in an ideal position and definitely not worth causing the potential issues that you highlighted.  On reflection, I think removing it would be for the best.

Thanks for your response too, @Emptyheadtime .  I thought that might be a better way for it to establish properly, so I'll know better for the future.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    You could try moving it. It looks very vigorous and if you cut it back hard (as you'd need to do), it may well send up new shoots after replanting, the strongest of which you could train, removing the unwanted ones.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Hmm, now you've got me thinking @BobTheGardener.  I'm planning on putting up a new pergola soon, so maybe I could train it up and over that.  Has anyone ever tried moving a wisteria before?  I'm just wondering how far and deep a root system I should be expecting.
    Sorry @aw32, don't know the answer to that question, never tried to move a wisteria!

However, I would imagine that they would have quite deep roots in relation to the amount of top growth (although I could well be wrong). Unfortunately because of the size of the trunk near the ground and the very small space you have to work in, I suspect digging it up would be a non-starter. You might have to use something like Brushwood Killer on the cut stump, repeated several times at intervals.

If you do buy another one, try to buy one in flower in April/May so that (a) you can see it will flower and (b) you can choose the exact colour you like.
  • If it has to go, and I think it does because of where it is, then seeing how much root you can get is the only way you will know if it stands a chance. I think because of the age and thickness of the stump it will be difficult but don't let that put you off. If you see how much root you can save then it will give you and idea of how much top growth to keep. It perhaps best to only train one or two shoots.

Most wisteria are grafted now so will flower as soon as you buy them but it always worth checking.  
    That's great.  Thank-you all for your suggestions and advice. 

I'll have a go at getting it out over the next couple of weeks and see what happens. 
    Good luck. 

It would be good if you can rescue it, I hate throwing plants away.