Forum home Plants

When can I plant

Just got these and wondering if I can get them in the ground now .. Cambridge England

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,320
    Provided the ground isn’t frozen or waterlogged they should be fine planted out now. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,095
    You can certainly plant if the ground is suitable - ie not frozen etc.  :)
    The only problem is - they won't be very mature, and even hardy plants will benefit form a bit of time before planting. I'd pot them on and let them grow on a bit, so that they have better root systems. 
    They might have been undercover for a while too, so it's worth just being careful about putting them outside too soon. A few days of out in the day [as long as weather is reasonably favourable] and in at night would be enough.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• *Astrantia**Astrantia* Posts: 227
    I bought some supermarket plants like yours a couple of years ago they were very very tender and delicate not like ones from my local garden centre that were living outside. I expect the supermarket ones have been grown in greenhouses , so as Fairygirl says maybe keep them under cover for a while to harden up a bit, in a greenhouse or a porch before planting out , there could be more frost or snow yet and I learned the hard way when mine died as I’d planted them out too soon!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,865
    I agree with the above,  I don’t buy much for the garden but when I did it would be Morrison 2 for £3.00,   Soak the roots, pot them up and keep in for the winter,  you can plant them out late Spring when the frost are over. 
    They will benefit from a bit of TLC. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.