Forum home Garden design

Which app is Monty using?

Hi everyone, I have been looking for a while for a garden design app and have been through numerous trials but none was giving the looks I'm after. I'd really like to have something like the app used in Gardener's World when Monty shows how he sees the design of the garden. Does anyone know which app this is?

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    I don’t remember seeing Monty use any technology and he rarely discusses design in GW? But that might just be me having a senior moment or two. What would you like the app to ‘do’ and which ones have you tried?
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Hi @Butterfly66, it looked like a sketch type of app on the telly, I may be wrong of course but seemed to me so.
    I've tried Google Sketch, Gardena, Garden Planner, Smart Draw. I'm still to try Landscape Architect, Home Design which is listed as an option to design outdoor too, and Garden Visualiser. None of them seems to offer the visuals I'd like to have: various options for grass, path material, and most of all, rich library of plants, shrubs and trees.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    edited January 2022
    As I've mentioned several times on this forum I use Garden Planner, which I find very good value. Its library does not have all the types of plants I would like, but it's enough for my needs. More on my garden site here.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Thank you! I'm going to check your site now, I may not have been patient enough with the Planner.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,015
    I can't say l have ever heard Monty mention an app or see him using one. If you want an idea of the layout etc of Longmeadow, this may help.
    https://www.montydon.com/thegarden
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    I don't remember seeing him use anything either - and I would be quite surprised if he did. If he's had someone do it for him, they've probably used SketchUp or Vectorworks, or a combination of the two. Or perhaps the planner that is included in the professional subscription to Shoot or similar.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Thank you @AnniD and @LG_gardens Maybe it was hand drawing, it just looked too clean to be but I may be mistaken. I did suspect SketchUp but couldn't find even half of the plants seen on Monty's sketches in it. I'll try again, and check the Vectorworks, have not checked this one yet.
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    Vectorworks is a professional CAD programme, not an app but dedicated software -Landmark is the version for landscape/garden design. I use it but in my professional life, a licence will set you back several thousand. I still don’t recall any design imagery on GW programmes? Are you referring to the design layouts of Longmeadow sometimes shown in the magazine? If so maybe contact the magazine direct, having said that you could try contacting the GW team at the BBC
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • zugeniezugenie Posts: 626
    I’ve used gardena’s online garden planner, that is much better for planning the hardscape and trees than planting
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,556
    If Monty was going to use anything it's a pretty safe bet it would be high end and expensive.