Forum home Garden design

Everyday Japanese Gardens

Hello Everyone, A little while ago, I posted some questions about my Japanese garden in another thread. I am lucky enough to live in Japan, and thought members might be interested in a few photos of similar gardens near to where I live in southern Kyoto. The first ones were taken while helping my youngest learn to cycle, so excuse the poor quality. They are just quick snaps. I will try and post some better ones as and when I get the chance. Hope they are of interest. Chris

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 122

Tea growing

This photo show a more modern house next to an older style one. I am pretty sure that a similar looking old style house would have stood in the lot previously. It shows what seems to be happening. Not built to last more than about 50 years, the older houses will be pulled down at the end of their lifespan and once their occupants pass away. It seems like they are being replaced by these more modern style houses. The new occupants tend to not want the hassle of a Japanese style garden. Perhaps these style of gardens are disappearing somewhat. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    Thank you so much for sharing those @chris.elsdon … it’s absolutely fascinating to see such a different style of gardening (and architecture too). Perhaps as the traditional styles become more uncommon they will be valued more?  I certainly hope so. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks a lot, for your nice comments, @Dovefromabove. It is a good point you make. Hopefully, there will be some reassessment of these types of places. 
    I will try and get some more detailed shots too.