Forum home Plants

Hellebore Help

Anne17Anne17 Posts: 98
So I rescued some white Hellebores from the Dead Zone of Homebase, and now they’re looking very happy. Could I plant them outside, or is the soil still too cold. I’m in Sheffield aka the Frozen North 

• puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 143
    Yay love hellebores so much. If the soil isn't frozen they should be fine to plant out now :) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    They're a million percent hardy.  :)
    The only thing is - if you've had them inside for a while, just let them acclimatise a little before planting out. Out through the day and in at night - a couple of nights should be enough, assuming you don't have freezing temps/ground, in which case give them a bit longer. Only plant if the ground isn't frozen.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze South NottsPosts: 1,190
    Some hellebores like a sunnier spot especially niger and members of the Rodney Davey Group. They can also tolerate summer drought.
  • Anne17Anne17 Posts: 98
    Thankyou all! Will acclimatise as advised ! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Most of them are good in pots too, especially for display over winter [depending on which ones you have] although some get quite large and need dividing after a while.  :)
    I keep some H. nigers in containers, as they flower here from November onwards, and are useful for grouping together with other things for the winter months where I can see them from a window.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 631
    My H. niger are flowering away very happy in Dundee.
    As you live in the tropical south  :) i can't see any problems.
    Sunny Dundee
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,222
    Don't be alarmed, once they are established, if they droop during very frosty days, they will pop up again as they thaw.