Forum home Plants

What is this Plant?

Sheila AllderSheila Allder Posts: 22
edited 21 January in Plants
I was given this Plant 2 weeks ago, have watered it twice ( from bottom) now it looks like it's dying!. I know it is toxic to animals. Can it be planted outside ?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,528
    edited 21 January
    I think it's a Hoya.
    I had one for many years - wonderful scent
    It wont survive outside

PS - sorry just realized I should have said it's a Stephanotis
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,597
    I think it's a Stephanotis.
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-stephanotis/
    Helps if you push the "post" and not the "save draft button" 🙄
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,703
    Agree Stephanotis.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,701
    Yes agree with AnniD and Silver surfer it is a stephanotis. We used to use it a lot for wedding flowers but it doesn't seem so popular these days probably because every single flower was wired separately. Wedding flowers now are more informal and mainly hand tied bouquets.  

It looks as though the plant has had some ill treatment before it was given to you Sheila. Possibly under or over watered. 
  • I killed mine. Would be very interested if anyone has experience of how to look after them!
  • I think with the yellowing bottom leaves, it looks like it's been over watered. This might have happened before you got it but the soil should be moist and not wet. If you put your finger tip into the soil the top inch or so should be allowed to dry out before you water again.
    If the decorative pot has a plastic pot inside I would lift the plant out and see if there is any water in the bottom. Often you can get a little sump of water in these ceramic pots which don't have drainage. If it is to wet then let it dry out, those yellow leaves will fall off but the rest of the plant will probably be fine unless you have root rot. 
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,490
    edited 22 January
    @SheilaAllder Is the plant sitting in water? Sorry just reread @thevictorianzFH0qqPW response and so agree with all said.
    We have had one for many years and for various reasons had to move it. It had been on a shelf near some orchids but was moved onto the floor (in the same room).
    It sulked for a long time!
    It is about 6feet tall and last year started flowering again, thankfully
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,212
    I have never heard of them being poisonous. Give yours some tlc and it will reward you for years.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,703
    edited 22 January
    I had never heard of it being poisonous either.
    BUT
    Found this on www.

Quote..."Be aware that the seed pods of the Stephanotis plant, also known as Madagascar Jasmine, are lethal for dogs. "

https://spanishnewstoday.com/dog-owners-beware-stephanotis-pods-can-kill-dogs_26096-a.html

Very sadly the article in the newspaper does not even have the correct pic.
    It shows Wrightia antidysenterica....not Stephanotis!

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrightia+antidysenterica&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin19zB-MX1AhWzQEEAHf5yC4oQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=595&dpr=1.5
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • Posy said:
    I have never heard of them being poisonous. Give yours some tlc and it will reward you for years. The Label attached to it said Toxic to Cats and Dogs