Forum home Plants

Bulb planting

Newbie here to the forum and gardening! I've just discovered a pack of allium drumhead and allium roseeum bulbs I'd totally forgotten about. On the pack they advise planting up to December. My questions are am i right to assume I'm too late now to plant them? If so should i plant in spring and wait until next year or leave them in their packs until i can plant in autumn? Tnx.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,597
    I would plant them now rather than wait. If you're really quick you may still get flowers. You could hedge your bets and plant them in pots to see what appears  :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    Just plant them. They won't keep.  :)
    It might be easier to plant in pots for now, and then you can see which ones are viable for putting into the positions you want them later in the year. They probably won't flower until later, and some may not flower this year. If they're decent sized bulbs, and in good condition, they should all thrive though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks! Great tip about planting in pots....will do that. I could kick myself but I planted so many bulbs I must have thought I'd done them all.
    They're RHS bulbs so fingers crossed!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,223
    I'm sure they'll be fine  - you may just have to wait a little longer to get the best from them  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....