Forum home Plants

Hebe parviflora angustifolia

New gardener here 

I have been looking at lost of pictures and have earmarked the hebe parviflora angustifolia as a shrub I'd like to try planting. 

I can't seem to find it anywhere to buy. Is that unusual or is it just the time of year? 

thank you 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,095
    Not a Hebe I have knowledge of, but is there a particular reason you want that one?
    There are hundred of varieties of Hebe  :)

If you're struggling to find a supplier, it may simply be that they aren't readily available due to low stock, or just that it isn't popular enough for lots of nurseries to grow or stock them. The RHS site often gives lists of stockists though, so it's worth looking there  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi, thank you

Yeah  I just like the look of it and have seen it in some gardens that I like in pictures in Uk so assumed it would be easy to get hold of. Will keep looking 

I like it because it is fairly big, evergreen and delicate fluffy type leaves but likes being clipped into shape . I wanted to pair with limelight hydrangeas as an evergreen element. Any other alternatives I could consider? I think hebes may be good for my clay soil. 

Hebes wouldn't usually be teamed with Hydrangeas as they generally like different conditions. Sun and well drained soil for Hebes [clay needs improving for them to thrive]  and damper, semi shaded sites for most Hydrangeas.  :)
    Of course, you can always experiment, but if hydrangeas are thriving, I'd look at Osmanthus as a possible evergreen. 
    Some Hebes will manage if it's not full shade, and the soil's not heavy and inclined to water log, but there are so many that it's impossible to suggest any.
    I've had H. buxifolia in shade, but they eventually succumbed to cold weather. They don't all respond well to trimming either, and it often depends on your location and more importantly, your climate.  The bigger the foliage, the less tough they tend to be. Variegated ones are also less hardy.  :)

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 3,677
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    Thanks for the link Silver surfer. I've never heard of that one but it is rather nice. I can see why you like it LauraEllen.
  • Yes thank you for the link, it is very nice isn't it. 

I thought it was suitable for clay, that's disappointing. 

What will happen if it doesn't like the clay soil - dies or doesn't grow? 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 1,698
    You could give the firm of the link that Silver Surfer gave you and ask for their advice. 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 997
    @LauraEllen, according to the details in @Silver surfer's link, clay soil will be OK for this plant.
    Interesting when looking at it on that link of yours @Silver surfer. They're stating that it's the hardiest plant on their nursery [very frost hardy]  but if you look at where it's suitable for siting, it's a bit misleading. Mild city gardens, sheltered gardens, coastal, exposed - but to wind and sun, which suggests it certainly wouldn't like wetter, colder parts of the country. 
    I doubt it would be happy in my garden.

Your climate and conditions [as ever] is important when choosing suitable plants @LauraEllen.
    Clay is an excellent medium for plants of all kinds, but in colder, wetter areas it can  stay heavy and claggy, and doesn't dry out at all, which is why I mentioned the need for improving drainage. In hot parts of the country, it dries out and cracks in summer, and even at other times of year if it's dry for a sustained period of time. For both instances, adding loads of organic matter is the best solution.  :)

• Thanks everyone. Well I am planning to plant it (if I can get my hands on any) in a bed that will have a wall behind it. I'm not sure how bad my soil is, having only been here less than a year.  
    I have laid compost and mulch over the bed so hoping the worms will improve the soil a bit and I may try Monty Don's suggestion to plant on a mound to allow roots to drain. 

I am tempted to go for it and see what happens!